5 Ways to Make Working out Fun Again by Coach Kelly
Have you ever gotten to a point where you think ‘working out used to be fun’ but don’t really feel that way anymore? I think we all go through seasons and can relate. So if you feel like you’re stuck in a rut here’s what you can do about it.
- Reevaluate your goals. If you haven’t set up a goal setting / skill setting session with me in a while, now is probably a good time to do it. Without concrete goals we can just sort of wander in and out of the gym not really feeling like we’ve accomplished much. Also, you might be closer to achieving a goal than you think and you just need a little one-on-one attention from a coach to help you get there. It may be just the boost that you need!
- Change it up. No, of course, I’m not talking about trying a new type of workout or a new fad. Maybe try a different class time, a different coach, Barbell Club, or for the bravest of you, Running Club! Do you normally work out in the morning? Try an evening WOD!
- Try a different level. Sometimes we can get so caught up on chasing skills and chasing the Rx on the board that we lose sight of having fun. Maybe scale back to an L2 or an L1 version of a workout. On the other hand, maybe you’re not having as much fun because you no longer feel as challenged. If so, it’s time to scale up a bit and push yourself to do a little heavier weight or even a few reps of a more difficult movement.
- Take a break. For me, when I’m not having as much fun it’s a sign that my body needs a rest. If it’s been longer than 4 months since you’ve taken a full week off, now’s the time! Just send me an email and I’ll be happy to place your membership on hold for the week so that you can take a much-needed vacay!
- Work out with friends. Since having Evelyn, I often have to work out alone. I can tell you it is definitely not as fun as whenever I’m in class. If you’ve been doing open gym, maybe it’s time to shift back into classes. If you’ve been working out in classes, maybe it’s time to make some new friends with the people you WOD alongside. There’s a reason why we start each class with an intro question. Last, it’s always a good time to invite friends to join you at the gym!
Whichever one of these you choose I hope you get the fun back into your fitness!