Are You Choosing the Right Level Workout? by Coach Kelly
How do you know if you’re pushing too hard or maybe it’s time to step it up a little? We designed the leveled versions of the workout so you’d have concrete modifications and so you’d be able to meet milestones along your path to Rx. When I started CrossFit, it must’ve been 2 years before my first Rx WOD! That’s a long time to show up to the gym and never be able to do the “real” workout. So, here’s some food for thought:
Signs you should level up:
- Your WOD time is faster than everyone else
- Your AMRAP score beat everyone else
- You’ve already cleaned up your gear, made a protein shake and logged your score in SugarWOD while everyone else is still on round two
- You’re not even breathing hard (or sweating)!
- You feel like you should have done more (weight, reps, rounds)
- The coach and classmates are encouraging you to add weight, do level 2, etc.
- You’re using the same weights/modification you did 3+ months ago
- You’re not reaching your goals (you obviously have clearly defined goals by now right?)
Signs you should take it down a notch:
- You feel like you’re going to pass out/throw up
- The next class has started and you’re still WODing
- Your time is slower than everyone else
- Your AMRAP score is less than everyone else
- The coach says you should consider less weight or possibly more than a couple of those reps didn’t count
- The coach and classmates seem concerned about you
- The next class is mobilizing and you’re still rolling around on the floor in a pool of sweat
- You can’t move the next day
- You’re not reaching your goals
Obviously some of these are meant to be humorous, but in all seriousness, we want to help you achieve your goals so sometimes that means needing to be honest with ourselves and assessing our abilities. Can we do more but it’s uncomfortable so we don’t? Are we afraid to push ourselves? Should we scale back but we’re afraid of how we’ll look? Do we just not know what to do to reach our goals?
You know Local is a safe place, a supportive community full of people who want to see you succeed! Your coaches are there to help guide you and assist you in making the best choices for you. If you’re training outside of where you need to be for your personal goals, you won’t meet them. If you need help setting a goal, achieving one or reassessing one please take a few minutes to fill out the Goal Setting form and I’ll be in touch to set up a free goal setting session!