Paleo Pineapple Upside Down Cake! by Coach Kelly
Thanksgiving, another holiday where you cook and eat a lot right? In order to make your desert just a little healthier, here’s a great recipe. Seeing all the coconut flavored confections, spring colored sweet and glazed goodies made me want to bake something. I love to bake, but only paleo desserts! I think it’s because I get to see how they turn out and how they compare to the “real” thing. I already know what the originals taste like and it’s often way too sweet for me. I have, admittedly, not baked in a while so I didn’t have too much in the kitchen or pantry. After pulling a few items out, it looked like I could make a pineapple upside down cake so I did! It’s pretty tasty, though I would prefer a moister cake. The recipe I followed from PaleoGrubs encouraged the use of a real pineapple, but I used canned (gasp)! Next time, I’d use some of the juice too. As always, a word of caution with “paleo” desserts: they are still desserts and should be eaten like a treat (i.e. not all the time)! 🙂
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 5 Tbsp raw honey
- 3 Tbsp liquid coconut oil (I used grapeseed since it’s what I had on hand)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 slices of fresh pineapple, each ½ inch thick (I used a little less than two cans of diced pineapple)
- 15 fresh or frozen sweet cherries (Don’t get the ones that glow neon red – spend a little extra and get REAL cherries)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place 1 ½ Tbsp of raw honey in an 8″ cast iron skillet. Arrange the pineapple and cherries on the honey in a decorative pattern. Place the skillet in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix almond flour with baking powder. Add eggs with remaining honey. Add the coconut oil and mix to combine. Mix well to combine.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and pour batter over the top of the pineapple rings and smooth it out. Return to the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Serve with more fresh sweet cherries.